ANST - Looking for the heat

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Sun May 16 15:20:57 PDT 1999

<< The way we do Arts and Sciences competitions is not at all period. I never
 get a "medieval feeling" at all when I view or judge an A&S competition.
 "Pippa"
 Baroness Philippa Rookhaven
 Stargate >>

    Putting on flame retartant PJ's

      OK- this finally addresses the issue.  What exactly are the A&S judges
looking for?  Is a entry judged on how  realistically the work recreates a
documentented medieval peice, or is an entry judged by how  well it
representents a medieval peice as we precieve it in our society? These may
seem like they are the same but to the artist, the difinition is a world
apart.  Does adaptation or creative license count?  Why doesn't judge A use
the same criteria as judge B?  The new judging forms are nice, but I still
see subjective instead of objectivity in the judging.  Any judge with a
FAVORITE  type of work or an ax to grind against an individual looses all
objectivity.   I feel that a written criteria produced by the Laurels would
be nice.  Any apprentice would have a world of information available on
judging criteria that we non- apprenticed would never have available, unless
we sat at the feet of some Laurel and kept them plied with booze until they
were to drunk to speak.
   Would such a publication produced by the Laurel be too much to ask, or
would it reveal to many of their secrets.  I feel that all competitors in A&S
compititions should be on a level playing field.  Is this to much to ask- or
is it impossible in our Society?

Geting ready to FEEL THE HEAT.

Baron Bors