ANST - Re: Spam?? was: Ahem.

Julien de Montfort julien at spiaggia.org
Wed May 19 06:58:29 PDT 1999

On 5/19/99, John Stracke spoke thusly:
> Poster: John Stracke <francis at thibault.org>
>
> Beiskaldi at aol.com wrote:
>
> > I cannot speak for the usual content of the various lists other
>than the one
> > I am on.  However, I personally can't see that sending out
>information on any
> > upcoming events, activities, or the like as spam.  [...]
> > In other words, useful information that is relevant to the Merry
>Rose at
> > least.
>
> The difference is that the Merry Rose is the Atlantian list, and the
>event is in
> Atlantia.  People on the other side of the continent are less likely
>to care.

True, but as I understand it, it's the "Knowne World" Academy of
Rapier; i.e., a focal point for the entirety of rapierists in the
Society.  Just because it's in  Atlantia doesn't mean that people
outside this Kingdom might not be interested.  Heck, Pennsic isn't in
the West, but I'm sure a lot of Westerners are interested in info on
that... ;-)

The main reason where I could possibly see someone considering these
messages as SPAM is if they are (inadvertantly) being posted to a
Kingdom list that doesn't have rapier.  In that case, the messages
would indeed be considered just so much wasted bandwidth.

Julien

Seigneur Julien de Montfort                  De sable, seme d'hermines
"Solum Dice Nullus Sunt Suficio"          d'or, un chef emanche argent
Seneschal, Web Minister, pursuivant at large
Canton de Spiaggia Levantina                   http://www.spiaggia.org
Bright Hills, Atlantia                             julien at spiaggia.org