ANST - RE: Waiting for the heat

Jennifer Carlson JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
Wed May 19 09:22:42 PDT 1999

Bear, thanks for your remarks - you made some good points.

Judges whose opinion of their own knowledge outstrips the knowledge itself
are very likely to come across as malicious their judging, because if they
cannot realize the limits of their abilities, they likely are not going to
realize the limits of polite behavior.  And polite behavior says that you
do not, ever, give a cutting or bad critique.  Score honestly, but always
be positive in your comments.

The examples you give of the Damascus blade and the handwoven linen being
slammed because of the judges' personal preferences or lack of knowledge
are good ones, but that does not mean that every "less knowledgeable" judge
is going to judge badly.

You should, you definitely should, know something about the field you are
judging - I don't dispute that.  But it is possible to give a fair,
considered, and appropriate critique of an art you are not familiar with,
although you may not be able to do it easily.  I am often called upon to
judge in categories I am not familiar with.  I don't like to, but it is
sometimes necessary.  I also usually know enough people who are on site
that I can find and consult with others who can help me evaluate the work.
 I can examine documentation and tell if it supports the work, if it is
weak, or if the artisan is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.  My
preferred method of judging is the type where the artisan stays with
his/her display, so that we can talk.  This is the best way to ferret out
how much an artisan really knows, and how they came to apply their
knowledge the way they did.  If the artisan is not available, I ask
questions in my commentary, and try to meet with them later in the event.

I love the idea of holding workshops on judging.  We also ought to have
workshops on what judging is about, for the benefit of those who are
entering competitions and displays, and to relieve some of the fears of
those who have never entered.

Your final comment I cannot agree with:  "As you approach the apex of your
field, most people are not competing on the same plane and the opinions of
judges who do not have mastery of the subject usually have little value."
 I paint very poorly in oils, but I can tell you why Tintoretto's "Solomon
meeting the Queen of Sheba" is a bad painting.  A competent but not
masterful tailor can tell a superbly made suit from one that only looks
superbly made.

In servicio,

Talana
Jcarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org

Never been slammed by a bad judge, and trying to return the favor...