ANST - A clarification (was Rant)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed May 19 13:30:29 PDT 1999

On 19 May 99, at 10:21, Screamin Gael wrote:

> I have seen firsthand what happens to those who have all faith in their
> legends and in the Right way to live ripped out from underneath them by
> some historian trying to astound the accademic community with his "new
> finding", and it has directly (I kid you not) led to at least one death
> that I know of.

seems to me i was taught that it was the purpose of acadamia to explore the
historical realities of legend & myth (my training was in both venues - history
& myth) and my doing so expand understanding.

passing down myth and legend down as "written" is not acadamia, but dogma at
best, and propaganda at worst.  acadamia's place is not to perpetuate myth and
legend but to explain and explore it.

too many choose to hide from the reality of the world by creating safe fantasy
realms to order (very common in acadamia ... and other venues we all know and
love) to shield their psyche's from the edges of this age and go ballistic when
those constructs are challenged in any way.   it' same reason many retreat into
alcohol or drugs ... some people need the shielding and don't cope well when
it's taken away.

remember, it's all maya.

> I had assumed that members of the Society, a society based on
> re-introducing Honor and Chivalry into the world, would understand the
> message, and some did....others...well, they need to talk to a knight or
> two and ask them which is more important: Historicaly accurate knowledge,
> or living the Chivalric life

so the politically-correct myth accepted by the majority is more important than
the historical reality?

you are forgetting that it is also a *educational* entity charged with
exploring the *academic* and historical realities, not just passing along
"accepted" myth and legend (actually, the whole concept of "chivalry" could be
debated on those grounds - myth vs. reality ... interesting side topic as long
as people leave their pet peeves and flamethrowers at home)

''wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves