ANST - RE: Looking for the heat

Pat Mullins padric at astrosfan.net
Wed May 19 13:47:50 PDT 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999 17:53:29 -0500 Bob Dewart <gilli at seacove.net> wrote:

>My 2 pet peeffs, other than sand in my swim suit (it's an ugly picture, you
>don't want to go there) on A & S competitions are:
>
>1).  Non Theamed entries winning a Themed competition,

If the best entry in a competition doesn't follow the theme of the competition, is it not still the best entry in the competition? If you want to ensure that a theme entry wins, the only way is to limit the competition to theme entries.
I recently lost points in a competition because my entry was off theme. Until I got the judging form back, I didn't even know there was a theme.
Although the end result would be the same, it seems to me that rather than penalizing entries for being off theme, it would be better to reward those entries that are on theme.
Is it better to say "You deserve a 39 for your entry, but you only get a 36 because you didn't follow the theme" or to say "your effort was worth 39 points, but you get a bonus for a theme entry"?

>2).  A & S competitions with only the ":winner" and no divisions.
For a title Artisan competition, "there can be only one"
How would you divide up the A&S entries equitably? Should we have catagories for textile arts, and glass arts, and armor-making, and calligraphy, and illumination, and brewing etc? Textile arts is a big area, should there be champions for weaving, knitting, sewing, embroidery, etc? At Loch Guardian, mine was the only research entry(That is, the only entry that was PURE research) Should I win the title "Loch Artisan of Research? Or should I be refused the title because mine wasn't a theme entry?

>Gilli

Padric OMullan, Shadowlands

Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net and have the chance to win a free laptop computer!