ANST - A clarification (was Rant)

Pat Mullins padric at astrosfan.net
Wed May 19 14:51:27 PDT 1999

>which is more important: Historicaly accurate knowledge, or living the
>Chivalric life

Historically accurate knowledge and living the Chivalric life are not mutually exclusive.

I know that many (if not most) knights in the middle ages were greedy, mercenary, etc. I also know that they had a cult and code of Chivalry, whether they lived up to it or not. If the SCA is an educational Organization, it is our responsibility to TEACH the truth. We do not necessarily have to LIVE the truth of the middle ages. Why not add greedy, mercenary, politically motivated knights to the list of things we choose not to recreate, like the Inquisition, pograms against Jews(Period 50 years ago, period 500 years ago)...BUT STILL ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THEY EXISTED< AND THAT A HISTORY WHICH FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEM IS NO HISTORY AT ALL, BUT **ONLY** MYTH.

Lord Padric OMullan, Shadowlands

I also am a student of History, and hope one day to be a teacher of history. History is the story of imperfect people making their way in an imperfect world. To say otherwise is to LIE.

Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net and have the chance to win a free laptop computer!