ANST - Ravensfort Equestrian Championship

Alexis drwise at swbell.net
Wed May 19 21:35:31 PDT 1999

Greetings everyone from Sir Alexis:

I would like to share the information regarding the equestrian
activities at Ravensfort's Day in the Manor event this weekend.
Ravensfort will be selecting their new equestrian champion this
weekend.  The competition will feature a combined course with the usual
features including rings, heads, pig (thrown), quintain (knock down
knight, similar to Sir Manfred's at Gulf Wars), keyhole, water (loose
tarp), damsel and a bonus for mounted archery.  The twist is that there
will be neither a set path path nor holders for the equipment so that it
is up to each rider to determine their route and retrieve their own
equipment.  The scoring will be similar to that used at Stargate
championships with each station having options and/or penalties.

The scoring will include:
Rings: 2 sets, larger rings 2 ea., smaller rings 4 ea. (will have to be
done at speed),
heads: 3 heads, 2 pts/head, penalty for hitting posts (-3),
thrown spear for pig:  same side 3, off side 5,
pig stick: 2 pigs, 2pts. ea.,
quintain (knock down knight):  indexed with 2 pts/notch (6 notches),
keyhole: 5 clean turn, 3 if line broken, 0 to bypass
water: 5 for clean cross, 3 if balks but crosses, 0 to bypass
damsel: 5 for rescue, 0 to bypass
speed: 1 pt per rider, i.e. if there are 10 riders the fastest time is
worth 10 pts, the second 9, third 8, etc. on down. (this seems to be a
good compromise that places the emphasis on achieving each goal yet
acknowledging the difficulty of executing the skills at speed).
archery:  this will be a bonus attempt of up to 3 arrows, with 1 pt. for
each hit if shot while standing and 3 pts. if hit while moving.  Time
will be stopped while archery is being shot.

Loaner equipment will be available for the competition.  I will have the
course set up so that everyone can practice as much as they want so that
they and their horses are comfortable with the equipment.  On another
note, last time we ran an IKEQ on sunday and then went on a trailride
around the site for an hour or two.  Everyone agreed that the chance to
just putter around made for one of the most enjoyable equestrian events
ever, so I expect that we will do it again.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the event.

Sir Alexis LaBouche
Equestrian Champion for the Barony of Ravensfort