ANST - RE: Looking for the heat

Thu May 20 04:39:32 PDT 1999

> I have a question. After all is said and done, how do you all feel about
> the
> following two things:
>
> 1) Merchants that enter their wares in A&S competitions.
>
> 2) A&S event steward competing in the competition.
> F. Havas

I see no particular problem with either of these.  The individuals should
not be directly involved with the judging in most cases, but beyond that why
not?

One of the stated goals of a Laurel when I joined 20 some years ago was to
be skilled enough to earn one's living at one's art.  I would say
merchanting one's art is an embodiment of that goal.

Economically, a merchant's project time is limited by the effort of trying
to earn a living from their work, which offsets some of the skill they have
acquired by constant practice of their art.

The intelligent event steward will turn the A&S competition over to someone
else to organize, the appropriate A&S minister, say.  They have certain
oversight responsibilities, but they do not necessarily have active control
or even immediate participation is establishing the competition.

The merchant and steward are members of the SCA and deserve the same
consideration as all members.  We are an organization which stresses
personal honor.  Let the merchant or the steward decide if it is honorable
for them to enter the competition.

Bear