ANST - Theme A&S competitions

Weiszbrod, Barbara Ann (Barbara)** CTR ** baw2 at lucent.com
Thu May 20 06:46:28 PDT 1999

> If the best entry in a competition doesn't follow the theme of the
> competition, is it not still the best entry in the competition?

This all brings up a new topic, do you or do you not think that theme
competitions should be held.

I do not.

Most event announcements arrive at our doors six to eight weeks before the
event.  That is not enough time for many artisans to consider how  with
their particular art form fits into the theme, plan a project and execute
it.  I have never asked her, but I am willing to bet that Isobel's (forgive
me for the spelling if that is wrong, I am spelling-impaired) glass work
could not be done in that length of time.  I know that if I were going to
make an illumination for a competition six weeks would not be enough time.

Then there are the arts that cannot be forced into a theme.  How does a mead
fit a theme?  How do Lodevico's tools fit a theme?  Or Don Brendon's Lute?

I understand that it would seem a great idea to ask for things that honor a
particular group, or that support the main thrust of the event, but I don't
think that is how you get the best art there, or get the most people
participating in the display.

Alys
Steppes