ANST - Theme A&S competitions

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 07:51:00 PDT 1999

I tend to view themed competitions more as a challenge, one that helps me
expand the horizons of my craft and art.
For example I carve in skeletal Materials, I know carving in horn irory
Antler, Bone, ETC _Is Period_ But how was it done in a certain Time, a
certain region of Europe. What makes the Walrus Ivory carvings of Denmark
different than the Ivories of Byzantium??

Though at Times I have been frustrated at the limits on time from the point
I know the Theme to the point of the competition, but Hey if I wasn't having
fun doing my work i wouldn't do it. doing well in a competiton, or even
winning is nice (real nice0. Iconsider knowing I have created My piece well
and done my documentation well feels better.

I have been as guilty as others in entering pieces adverse to the Theme of a
competition. I did not however do this expecting to win. in this aspect
Performance and static arts are on commen ground. if we are given a set of
perameters for a given judging and we do not follow them, then well, we
should expect to take a gig for it. I once entered a mid period french
styled battle horn into a competition  themed for Norse or wolves (i did
this one) I got giged hard on the jugding. I still got good coments, I still
felt good about my work.

I geuss what I am saying is if you can't have a piece ready for a themed
competition, either don't enter or expect the gig for breaking the rules of
"That" competition. And that I personally like Themed Competitions.

HL Darius of the Bells, CIM, Thistle X2
second Artisan of Dragons Fire Tor
Winner of the Last Wolfstar A&S competiton
Eigth Bard of Dragons Fire Tor
Willing Praticipant in resumee' Flashing!