ANST - The trouble with rants

Weiszbrod, Barbara Ann (Barbara)** CTR ** baw2 at lucent.com
Thu May 20 07:01:34 PDT 1999

> Lyonel aisai wrote:
>

> Still, that's part of growing up.  In the process of maturing, you simply
> have to understand that even heroes are human, and humans have quirks and
> foibles and selfish desires.  If we're lucky, we also find that they had
> attributes we can admire.  Thomas Jefferson was apparently something of an
> elitist, a bit of a lech, and extraordinarily arrogant. I still admire
> much
> about the man.

Knowing the weaknesses of our heros should not make us respect them less,
but show us how they over came those flaws to achieve great things and
strive for thier ideals.  Lyonel is right, seeing these things in our heros
is part of growing up, also nessisary to our understanding of ourselves.  It
is only after we realize that imprefection and shortcommings are in all of
us that we can forgive ourselves for our failures and try again to acheive
better.

Alys
Steppes