ANST - Event Steward vs. A&S Coordinator (medium)

Ace aslyn at onramp.net
Fri May 21 09:12:07 PDT 1999

Pug stated that:

>Lorraine and/or Kief (deer_kief at hotmail.com) said something that sounded
like:
>> >not a good idea. if he or she wins, it looks suspicious.
>> Suspicious....?????!!!!! Of what??????!!!!!!
>
>To take the example to the extremes, it would be like the current King
>entering Crown Tourney.
>
>It is not a matter of time, entrest or desire, but a matter of
>perceptions. The A&S coordinator setups the guidelines that the entries
>will be judged by, arranges for judges, etc. If they turn around and
>win, people will feel like it is rigged even though it is not.

I believe a clarification needs to be made here between Event
Steward\Autocrat and A&S coordinator.  The original phrasing of the question
spoke to an "Event Steward" entering the competition, which is a broad
management term.  However, it looks as though responses are addressing both
definitions as one.

It has been my experience that the Event Steward of an A&S does not always
set the guidelines for judging, nor arrange for judges per se.  He or she
merely makes arrangements for the event (site, volunteers, etc.).  An A&S
coordinator is then appointed to oversee the A&S competition and liason with
the judges and Event Steward.

I agree with the assertion that an A&S Coordinator should not enter the
competition.  However, I do not agree with the assertion that an A&S Event
Steward should not enter and A&S.  In my opinion, if an A&S Event Steward
can organize and event *and* still have time to work on a display - glory be
to them.  Why punish an artisan for their stewardship under an assumed
premise of failed objectivity?

A prime example of this theory is evident in the Steppes:  The Event Steward
for Steppes Artisan does not create the judging guidelines or criteria, nor
does he or she arrange for judges.  Every Steppes Artisan is a judge, and
the past Artisans create the judging criteria themselves.  Both of those
items are long standing traditions which are not to be influenced or changed
by the Event Steward.

Just my .02 cents.

Aslyn