ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Fri May 21 15:59:26 PDT 1999

<< I understand that in period there were two kinds of artists. The ones lucky
 enough to have a sponsor, and the majority that had to sell their art for
 survival. >>
  I was told many years ago that a person who does quality work and could
make a living selling their work for a living qualified as a Laurel.  My own
foster daughter, Telerie sold her beads at many events before she became a
Laurel.  Selling does not disqualify anyone from an A&S compition.
HOWEVER- I find it amazing how once one becomes a peer in the realm, how
quickly they quite competing.  The joke of the Loch use to be " How do you
get someone to quit fighting in the Loch?  Make them a knight.
  This seems to be true in all the peerages.  Many of the old peers have
found the bar of compition raised far beyond the level of which they achieved
to become peers.  Couldn't some type of evaluation or criteria be assessed in
order to maintain good standing as a peer?  For example- Knights must win one
compition in a three year period, Laurels must win an A&S compition every so
often and Pelicans could autocrat an event or do a major service every once
and awhile.  This would be benificial not only to the newcomers who would
benefit greatly from the wealth of knowledge in our peers, but also
demonstrate that once a peerage has been bestowed ,that the individual truely
wants to continue onward and upward in service to the kingdom.
 Just the rambling thoughts of an old man

Baron Bors