ANST - Competing in an event you're running (longish)

Jerry Dreifuerst jerryd at neosoft.com
Sat May 22 13:57:59 PDT 1999

Greetings Ansteorra,
Othar here.

While discussing the merits and problems associated with someone in charge
competing in an area they have some stake, my Baron, Michael Silverhands said:

"winner of *last* year's ... competition <can> organize *this* year's
competition."
and
"In the lists the combatants judge the winner."
Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate

Just recently I participated in Bordermarch's Baronial Championship
Tourney.  As past Champion I was allowed to organize/run the tourney with a
great deal of leeway, pending the Vicar's approval.  I did not compete,
however I fought every one of the entrants to the list.  Also I took the
pleasure of fighting all of the bye fights.  Additionally, I fought in
almost every melee as a force balancer between odd numbered teams.  I found
this privilege of running the tourney to find my successor most satisfying.
 And I hope when you speak to entrants to the list that they found the day
challenging.  The fighting had both tourney and melee portions, and the
Vicar (Count Sir Simon) reserved the right to test the mettle of the list
champions.  Having been the champion of numerous tourneys, I strongly
promote Baron Michael's idea above.  By participating in the selection of
the new champion, it fulfills part of the duty accepted by becoming a
group's champion the year before.

Second, Baron Michael says of martial competitions, "combatants judge the
winner."  How very true.  Could this method for selecting a winner be
carried over to A&S?  I know there have been Bardic melees where bards go
head-to-head against a competitor, but in the challenges I've witnessed,
the results were "judged."  Could we (or have we) tried having the
participants decide who the winner is?  I put my home brew up against
Charles' garb.  Between the two of us we determine which entry is the best.
 After he trounces me in the first round, he takes his entry up against his
next opponent, say Modius' wine.  After the two of them determine who won
that round, the winner advances another level.  Eventually competitors for
a final round are determined and in front of Nobility and Populous the
winner is decided.  The role of A&S judges could mirror the marshals of the
list somewhat.  Instead of looking for unsafe or illegal fighting
practices, the judges could "inspect" entries to guarantee documentation,
periodness, or other Laurelette concerns.  Should a competitor face an odd
entry, perhaps from outside our time frame or of dubious origin, i.e. one
not usually allowed,  he could opt to accept the challenge and put his
entry up against it.

It seems that this might easy the "burden" judges / Laurels face.  After
the competition ends, then the teaching / practice sessions begin, just
like the side fighting and training that goes on after fighters are
eliminated from a list.

It's said that a fighter can never "win" a fight, but that an opponent
"gives" him victory by accepting a killing blow.  Perhaps in the same vein
A&S challengers could yield to / acknowledge a superior work.  I know this
idea hasn't completely been worked out, maybe those with better analytical
skills can pick up where I've left off.

In service,
Centurion Othar Morganson	Stargate,Ansteorra	morganson at hotmail.com
				or