ANST - Laurels or Knights competing

Gustafson gustav at hub.ofthe.net
Sun May 23 04:01:16 PDT 1999

>Leofric Ealdricson said:
>
>I agree with what you have said but there is something else to consider.
>Some people will not enter an A&S competition where a laurel is competing
>because they think that their work is not good enough.  They will withdraw
>or dont compete simply out of embarassment (been there, done that).  What
>can be done to change this perception?  The solution in the past has been
>not allow the Laurels to compete.  This may not be the correct solution,
but
>it was one way to get contestants of lower skill levels to enter their work
>so that it could be seen and critiqued.

In any competitive environment, there is the potential for someone to be
better than you.  Whether I am fighting on the list field, or entering the
A&S competition, my competitor is not the others involved.  My competitor is
myself.  If I fight or create, I do so with the intent of producing the best
I can.  If the other entrant is the best Knight on the field or the best
Laurel in the Kingdom, I will either work hard enough to win, or learn from
the loss and hopefully improve my work as a result.  Enjoy the competition.
If you are at the point where you cannot (or do not want to) improve, are
you just wasting time and grumbling about the better entrant?  Some of the
best improvement to my A&S have come from competitions involving Laurels.
Some of the best fighting I have every learned is from losses to superior
fighters.  A loss is a learning tool.  Use it to improve yourself.  By the
way, I lost a lot of fights and A&S competitions before I ever won one.

Just the way I look at it.

HL Gustav Hastings