ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Sun May 23 14:32:16 PDT 1999

>I have entered a couple of populace judged compititions such as is done at
>Tiempo's event, and the problem I have seen is that the populace vote can be
>influenced by a group or household, who may have an agenda other than picking
>the best A&S entry.

That's true.  In a lighthearted example, our household "stuffed" the ballot
box to decide who would be "king and queen of love" at a May Day-type event.
Petruccio's face when the outcome was announced at court, was well worth the
effort.  We also knew we weren't doing him any real favors, though, because
the winners were also responsible for putting on the next year's event.
Naturally, we also accepted the responsibility of our actions by helping to
set up and run the event the following year.  That's not an option in an A&S
competition, nor am I suggesting it should be.

>I don't think that this type of compition is always the best.

It can only be right and fair if those "voting" really feel they're choosing
on the basis of the best entries.  It's a matter of honor, of course.

Ronnie.