ANST - Period Jewelry

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue May 25 10:23:01 PDT 1999

Alys Roke wrote:
> I like making jewlery and I would like to start merchanting at events, and participating in A&S shows/competitions, but I have not been able to find period sources that I can use for inspiration and documentation.  Can anyone point me in the direction of suitable web pages/books/references/etc.?

Greetings Lady Alys,

Welcome to the Kingdom of Ansteorra.

You might want to take a look at this file in the ACCESSORIES section of my
Stefan's Florilegium:
jewelry-msg       (61K)  2/24/98    Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.

Depending upon the type of jewelry you have in mind, perhaps these other
files in the same section would be of use:
amber-msg         (13K)  5/ 3/99    Period use of amber. What it is. How to buy.
gem-sources-msg   (19K)  5/19/99    Sources for real and artifical gemstones.
beads-msg         (38K) 12/30/97    Necklaces, beads.

Or in the NORSE section:
amber-buying-art  (27K) 12/30/96    How to buy amber. How to detect fake amber.

>From your comments, I'm not sure if you have merchanted at SCA events before or
not. If not, then this file in the COMMERCE section has some useful comments:
merchanting-msg   (49K)  4/16/98    Merchanting in the SCA.

I also have sections on FOOD, BEVERAGES, COMBAT, COMBAT-RAPIER, ARCHERY, CRAFTS,
TEXTILE ARTS, SCRIBAL ARTS, PERFORMANCE ARTS, SCA STORIES, ENTERTAINMENT, CLOTHING
and others that might have some files of interest to you.

My Florilegium is on the web at: http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html

I hope this helps get you started.

Lord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad (Austin, TX)