ANST - SCA - 35 year ???

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Mon May 3 06:24:14 PDT 1999

Greetings, Sir Burke and the "virtual Populace" (sounds like backup singers...) :-)

In your capacity as Kingdom Seneschal of Ansteorra, you wrote:
> Should the SCA plan to have a 35 year celebration or should the SCA only
> hold one every 10 years with 25 and 75 being special cases.

I admit to having mixed feelings about this. The "decade" anniversaries seem
more special, but I can think of at least two good reasons for celebrating every
5 years:

1) As has been pointed out, it spreads the opportunities around. More kingdoms
get the chance to host, without any behind-the-scenes blood-letting over who
gets it next. (Well, ok, at least *less* blood-letting. <grin>)

2) I am told that the half-life of our membership is about 3 years. That is,
every 3 years we have "turned over" about half of our active members. (If you've
been turned over more than once, are you done on both sides? hmmm...)
Celebrating every 5 years greatly increases the opportunity for those who don't
stay for "the long haul" to see at least 1 "gathering of the clans" during their
SCA life.

I guess if I had to choose one or the other, I would vote for every 5 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Yours,
Michael Silverhands