ANST - Re: ASTR - SCA - 35 year ???

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Mon May 3 09:40:25 PDT 1999

My initial reaction was to vote for every 10 years, but believe I would
support every 5 years instead.        Baron Michael had some good points.
I would suggest that if the attendance of the event continues to grow each
of the 5years, then *that*  is your populace vote,... by the attendance.
('If you *hold*  it, they will come!')

I was not in the SCA for the 20 yr. event, but was at 25yr.  I did not
attend 30yr.in AnTir, but if 35 is a bit closer, then I may go.    So, for
me, I may establish a pattern of  *attending*  every 10 years, even though
the event is held every 5years.

As to the comment about the attendance being a bit less at 25th year than
at 20th year, Yes, that may be true.   I was a part of the committee that
ran that 25th year event (Waterbearer Coordinator), and from what I recall,
we were anticipating an attendance around 3000-4000 attendees.  I believe
we had around 2000 attendees, instead.   This drop in attendance was not
due to the event, or the location or the staff; but to a little *real* war
known as 'Gulf Wars' in the Persian Gulf.   A week before TFYC (25th),
national military had been put on readiness status, and while they were
still in the States, many SCA folks in military choose to stay close to
home rather than come to 25th year.  There were a few die-hards who did
come to the Celebration, and were called up in the middle of the event, had
to fly out on the earliest plane, and their friends had to pack up all
their gear and transport it home.    So, I believe the attendance at 25th
year would have surpased 20th year, had not REAL LIFE taken priority.

If the SCA wants to hold a 35yr Celebration, they are already dangerously
close to being too late to put it together.

Bn. Hillary Greenslade   Westgate/Stargate

Kingdom Seneschal of Ansteorra <kingsen at ionet.net> on 05/02/99 06:09:24 PM

Please respond to coastal at Ansteorra.ORG