ANST - A&S - does utility count?

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Sat May 8 18:19:25 PDT 1999

<< While I certainly have my point of view on this subject, I am curious
 as to the thoughts of those who tend to judge such things. How do you
 look at this?

 Don Christian Doré >>

    Take the cart out of the conversation and you have just described my
experience with A&S entries in the SCA.  Wood work - just learning how but if
you make a box with out dovetail joints- kiss any points goodby even if evey
square inch is covered with celtic knot work carved into it. No proper
joints- no points.
    Pewter casting - made a belt buckle and matching brooch for my kilt-
designs carved into the  cast was an early pict design- design and brooch not
compatible as far as same time period- kiss it goodby.
    This is one of the main reasons why I don't DO A&S compititions any more
(except in my own Barony).  I make things that appear to be period and
functional for my own enjoyment, with no desire to be flayed alive and cooked
over the coals at an A&S compitition.
     OH!!!- I forgot the stained glass ( I have done a 6 foot by 6 foot
stained glass window for my house and a couple for my neighbors, but if I do
a reproduction of the windows from Edinburg castle chapel, it's suddenly not
period techinque- No points for that.
     Same story with leather work.  I have a Thistle in casting and in
leatherwork- my ability and technique haven't changed over the years, but the
judging has.  Does this mean that if I were judged today on the projects from
several years ago (the ones that got me my Thistles) that I never would meet
the requirements for those awards today?
     If you were on the list a couple of years ago, you would have heard this
same story debated to death.  At that time I was called a grumpy old
discontent ( which I am when it comes to SCA A&S compititions).  Been there-
done that.

 Baron Bors of Lothian
  Baron Loch Soiller
    All prosey, dull Society sinners
     Who chatter and bleat and bore
       Are sent to hear sermons from mystical Germans
         Who preach from ten 'till four!"