ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

Fopdejour1 at aol.com Fopdejour1 at aol.com
Sun May 9 18:12:18 PDT 1999

lealdricson at hotmail.com writes:

<< OK, I'm going to open a can of worms here.

>> I have seen the new judging forms and they are a great help in the
 equalization of judging of varying entries in A&S competitions.  The problem
 with this form (and any other judging really) is that there is still a LOT
 of room for interpretation of the criteria.<<

Yes there is, I agree.  I think it is necessary for some interpretation.

 >>I know of one instance in particular that applies to the seciton of the
form
 for involvment of the artisan in the materials.  The item being judged was a
 peice of garb.  All of the piece was made by the artisan and was very nice
 (It won the competition).  The scores received by the aritsan ranged from 4
 down to 1.  The reason given for the 1 score was that the artisan did not
 weave the cloth herself.<<

::sigh::: Judging is SO subjective, it really is...The only remedy I can
think of personally, is even more justification in the documentation.  That
isn't really a fix, just a suggestion.  I know, it sounds like every time I
post on A&S, I seem to push documentation, but with examples like that,
there's no help for it.

 >>So my question here is;  In the situation where an artisan makes a peice
of
 garb, by hand from materials (cloth, thread, buttons) that were bought, what
 should the score have been.<<

Who knows, that depends on how well their their sewing skills are.  For
example finish work, stitch uniformity, etc.  I personally would give a
person "snaps" for simply attempting to hand sew a piece of garb, I am
impressed.

>> I do woodwork.  When I enter and item, to receive top score do I have to
 fell the tree and hew the wood into planks myself?  Must I plant the tree,
 wait twenty years, fell it, hew it, and then work it to get top score?
 (tounge firmly in cheek on that last one)<<

It would seem to be the interpretation of those judges that that would be
necessary.  IMHO, I wouldn't knock a person for store bought fabrics, just
justify it in their documentation.  If you did grow the tree and fell it and
everything else, I would worship you as an A&S god....lol!!!!

 >>What needs to be set is just what each of those numbers represent.  I have
 seen the form (at least one version of it) and there are some 'criteria'
 listed, but is does not tell how much is necessary to get a 5.<<

I have always just assumed 3 was average if it were a 1-5 scale and 5-6
average if it were a 1-10 scale.

>> One factor in ANY judging will be how much the judge likes it.  This is
just
 human nature.  How do you quantitfy a subjective measure such as 'Overall
 Appearance'?  You can't.  What can be done is that judging A&S entries needs
 to be a skill that is taught.  To everyone who will be judging, be they
 Laurels, Irises, or any other.<<

He he he...I almost posted that before, but was afraid to deal with the
flames...::Stands up really tall::  I Agree!!!!  If it were feasible, some
sort of judging instruction would be nice.

>> This is something that will take time, but if it can be done it will go a
 long way to healing the wounds of many artisans who WILL NOT enter an A&S
 competition because they have better things to do than stand up and have
 judges tell them that they are worthless.<<

AGHHHH!!!!! Worthless....surely not!!!!  :::goes off muttering about
insensitive judges:::

 Anyway, enough of the soap box.  I'll stop now.  (Getting out the
 marshmallows to toast on the flames that will be comming my way soon)

Can I have a Marshmallow?

Charles