ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

Mon May 10 07:16:06 PDT 1999

> I know of one instance in particular that applies to the seciton of the
> form
> for involvment of the artisan in the materials.  The item being judged was
> peice of garb.  All of the piece was made by the artisan and was very nice
>
> (It won the competition).  The scores received by the aritsan ranged from
> 4
> down to 1.  The reason given for the 1 score was that the artisan did not
> weave the cloth herself.
>
> So my question here is;  In the situation where an artisan makes a peice
> of
> garb, by hand from materials (cloth, thread, buttons) that were bought,
> what
> should the score have been.
>

> Leofric Ealdricson

I would consider down checking the artisan for not making the cloth
incompetent judging.  Fabric was a major trade commodity throughout the SCA
period.  In the later Middle Ages and the Renaissance, weavers and tailors
were normally two different guilds.  It would be far more correct to allow
additional points for making the fabric or to judge the making of the fabric
and the making of the grab as two distinct projects.

I find the idea of a Thistle for producing the raw materials, processing the
raw materials, and making the finished goods humorous.  IIRC, the premiere
Laurel of Calontir received his Laurel for just this type of work.  He grew
the flax, retted it, wove the linen, made the scissors, needles and pins,
and then produced a period linen shirt.  He documented the entire process
and photographed it.

Bear