ANST - A&S - does utility count?

dssweet at okstate.edu dssweet at okstate.edu
Mon May 10 11:54:11 PDT 1999

Charles wrote:

>Yes this is true....why?  Because in very large competitions one wants to be
>the one to catch the judges eye.  I would assume that is why the
>Presentation/ Display is built into the forms.  Not to belittle artisans with
>crummy displays, but to help them improve for the possible time in the future
>where they may be competing for attention of judges.  In static you need a
>flashy display to "merchandise" your entry, to give the judges the "come
>hither."  Even if it is a single item entry, it needs to be attractively
>displayed.  Think about Laurel's Prize Tourney....so many entries....so  very
>very little time!!!!

This is my pet peeve about A&S competitions. Presentation/Display, yuck!! It
reminds me too much of Costume Contests at S/F conventions. In my view a costume
contest should be about the costume, but when a con runs one it becomes, in
reality, a talent show, with costumes secondary. Something like this is
happening with the use of Presentation/Display in the SCA. I feel that I should
be able to place an a&s gizmo on a table with the documentation beside it. Why
the need to dress it up like a beauty contest? All of a sudden it's no longer
about the gizmo you made, but it's about how you can gussy it up to somehow be
better! More eye catching! It's not a game I want to play in.

Estrill
Mooneschadoweshire