ANST - stuff

Sean Bartholome okami69 at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 09:44:23 PDT 1999

Here are some suggestions for making boffers for the children.

For the young ones, a boffer without a core was suggested.  One of the best
and fairly cheapest, is to go to your local Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart,
Toy's-R-Us, etc...They will have in their pool accessories, and item called
Funnoddle.  This usually is an 6-8 feet long solid foam cylinder.  Cut to
shape, and duct tape.

For the older divisions, a core is allowed.  You can still use funnoddle if
you would like.  You will have to cut the foam in half, and make room for
golf tubes, or my suggestion of half inch 315 psi PVC.  My suggestion, would
be to purchase some bedroll foam.  You can get these at most camping stores,
or Army surplus stores.  They will average about 10-15 dollars a roll.  One
roll should be able to make about 2-4 swords.   You attach the foam to the
core, with either some type of adhesive, or tape, and roll the core up into
the amount of foam you want for your blade.

For added weight or rigidity, you could use a couple of methods.  One that
was suggested, is a double core.  You could also use a higher PSI rating of
PVC.  The spray (insulation) foam can also be used.  For balance and
additional weight, I usually use some form of large bolt inserted in the
hilt end of the pvc, that is about the same inside diameter of the pvc.
Depending on the lenght and material used, it will add weight, and move your
balance point more towards the hilt than towards the blade.

Hope this is helpful.

Okami of the Steppes