ANST - A&S Master piece

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu May 13 05:21:08 PDT 1999

HLOriana at aol.com wrote:
> TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:
>
> << The closest thing to an A&S competition would probably be the presentation
>  of work to the guild masters for elevation in the guild.   >>
>
>         Wouldn't it be great to be able to do that with the Laurel's circle?
> Not as part of an A&S competition, but one artisan and his or her 'master
> piece.'  Perhaps it could be set up well in advance, like a tournament is.
> What if it were announced, for instance, that Laurels in the following three
> (or 5 or whatever # are available) fields will be available for presentations
> at Steppe's Warlord?  And Laurels in whatever will be available at Gothic
> Wars et cetera.
>         What if it were possible to apply to the circle directly and say "I
> feel I am ready to present my master piece in the following field, when and
> where do you want to see it [or them if a body of work is more appropriate)"?

Something like this might be of use to introduce a possible Laurel candidate
to the Laurels. However, it does appear the large A&S competitions/displays
also do this.

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but the way it is worded this
changes the guidelines to concentrate almost completely on a skill in a
particular art. Within the SCA, the Laurel is also supposed to be a Peer.
One whose abilities go well beyond those of even a Master Craftsman. Just
as a Knight is supposed to do more than just fight well, A Laurel should
also a broad knowledge of the SCA, be working to pass on the knowledge
of their art and be a model of the ideals of the SCA. I'm sure others,
such as Gunnora, could give more precise requirements.

Lord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
stefan at texas.net