ANST - Re: Squire, student, cadet, fighter

Kim Tucker neassa at swbell.net
Wed May 12 17:16:14 PDT 1999

Greetings unto HL Oriana and the Ansteorran list from Baroness Neassa of
Stargate.

HLOriana at aol.com wrote:
>         I agree with my squire brother that Squire's and Cadet's Invitational
> is a great deal of fun and a wonderful learning opportunity and I appreciate
> that the Stargate area has done a wonderful job for many years.  However,
> it's a beastly long drive for those of us in the far north, not to mention
> the fact that I really have to take a day off work to get there before 4 am.
> Is it ever going to be possible to have a similar event somewhere in the
> North, either on the same weekend, or six months 'out of phase'?  Personally,
> I think it would be fun to have two events the same weekend and then have the
> winners meet at Steppes Warlord.

Thank you for your kind words about our event. Squire's and Cadet's
Invitational has long held a fond place in my heart. At this event those
fighters who have not yet attained a white belt or white scarf have the
opportunity to show the Knights and Dons of Ansteorra their best.
Fighting ability is highlighted but the combatants must also enter the
following competitions to become the winner of the day: A&S, bardic,
dance, heraldry, and an obstacle course. We also like to see service
given by the contestants, usually in the form of help heralding,
marshalling, or water bearing for a few minutes when they can find the
time in their very busy schedules. While each category has a winner,
only a well rounded individual who did well in all categories will come
away with the title of Overall Squire or Overall Cadet.

Squire's and Cadet's Invitational is a Stargate event. Many years ago
some of our finest members put together this fine tournament, and with
the exception of last year (1998) we have always hosted it. A few years
ago there were others who expressed the same wish you did, to have the
event move around the Kingdom and be hosted by other groups. At that
time Stargate agreed to release the event and we asked for another group
to host it. No one came forth. After a year or so Stargate reclaimed her
event. At this time we have no intention of releasing it again.

Last year we did not have anyone in our Barony who wished to autocrat
the event, but the Barony of Loch Soilleir, our good neighbor and
dearest friend, asked if they could host it. Michael and I consulted
with our Seneschal and our Populace and for one year only passed the
torch to the Loch. They hosted a truly marvelous Squire's and Cadet's
Invitational, won by Centurion (soon to be Sir) Timotheus and Lord Henri
de Gauthier. We greatly appreciated the fine job they did with the event
and the break it allowed Stargate from this very work intensive event.

At this time I know of two members of Stargate who wish to steward
Squire's and Cadet's Invitational, so its future is assured. I know of
no other event that is ever held in two spots in the Kingdom on the same
weekend. This would cause the event to compete with itself, and while
more people would be able to attend overall, this would decrease the
attendance at each individually. Likewise most tournaments are not held
every six months, with the notable exceptions of Crown Tournament,
Coronation, and Queen's and King's Champion.

What all of this comes down to is that Stargate is very proud of
Squire's and Cadet's Invitational. We are honored to bring this event to
the Kingdom; to offer this venue for the fighters of Ansteorra to shine.
Most of the men (and now women - Vivat Isobel!) who were named Overall
Squire or Cadet have moved on to join those Circles who were watching
them so closely that day. The next time you see Centurion (almost Sir)
Timotheus, Sir Alexis, Sir Godwin, Sir Rhodri, or Don Brendan, ask them
about their day at Squire's and Cadet's Invitational. (We seem to be a
little behind in the Don department lately....) Ask Sir Dietrich how
much time and effort he put into this event, to place second. The people
who have won this event planned and worked hard for it for many months
before the actual day of the tournament.

What we in Stargate can do is take care of our planning a little earlier
and get the date set on the Kingdom Calendar. That way the entrants can
have a little longer to arrange a day off from work if necessary to
come. We would love to have all of the fighters in this Kingdom who
aspire to one day become Knights and Dons come compete in Squire's and
Cadet's Invitational.

In service and with love,
Neassa, Baroness of Stargate