ANST - Papal infallibility

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon May 17 07:57:21 PDT 1999

Galen of Bristol here...

>Actually, the doctrine of papal infallability was not added to Roman Catholic
>dogma until 1870. So, infallability on the part of anyone is not period.
>
>Pippa

Sorry, no.  The doctrine of papal infallibility was formally defined,
not originated, at the 1st Vatican Council in 1870.  The doctrine itself
was espoused by many Christian authors dating from the 2nd century,
notably including St. Augustine in the 4th century, who wrote of an
extant controversy, "Rome has spoken, the matter is settled."

Much more information about the history of Catholic and Christian
faith is available on links from <http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ24.HTM>.

- Galen
practicing Catholic (sooner or later I hope to get it right)