ANST - Terracotta Sculpture

Ace aslyn at onramp.net
Tue May 18 09:28:16 PDT 1999

Gio writes:

{snip}

>Has anyone seen, heard of, or read anything about terracotta
>sculpture in our period, or plaster sculpture?  Surely they
>must have done it.  And, by sculpture, I mean 'art for art's
>sake', not necessisarily tilework, functional pottery or such.

>I can find tons of stuff for Roman times, but have yet to
>turn up anything for 600AD-1600AD.  The possibility that
>they suddenly stopped making cheap, easily reproducible
>art around 300AD is unbelievable.

{yada yada yada}

Hi Gio:

I'm writing this at work, so I'm going on memory right now.  And...while my
line of knowledge does not necessarily bend towards terracotta _sculpture_,
I deal in samakarind and majolica pottery (on the side) which is on
terracotta (as you mentioned), and I and trying to pour tiles, etc.  But I
do have some research back at the house that discusses terracotta
"sculptures" or facades on buildings, and slip poured molds (if you're
looking for mass production items).

Are you trying to make idols, or just trying to document the use of
terracotta in other forms besides plates and tiles?  My in-brain Rolodex
file keeps flipping back to "terracotta = majolica and facades" (especially
in the Medici era) and slip molds.

Granted, it's not sculptured idols, _per se_ but it's a beginning in the
lineage.   If you would like, I'll go home and take a look and get back with
you?

Again - I'm going on memory here.

HL Aslyn Crystyn
Steppes, Ansteorra