ANST - RE: Looking for the heat

Jennifer Carlson JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
Tue May 18 12:06:17 PDT 1999

Tamlin wrote:

It is very demeaning to be judged (and perhaps found wanting) by someone
you later find out (once you ferret out
the name) is your complete inferior in the field.  That's happened to me
more times than I care to count.  Even
dog shows certify and announce their judges...and they are volunteers.

Why was it demeaning?  Were they malicious and took an opportunity to trash
you?  If so, I am sorry indeed.

Unlike Athena, we do not spring from the forehead of Zeus fully-formed.
 Everything we do must be learned, and that includes judging.  Anyone who
is making an effort to learn how to judge is going to come upon items made
by persons more knowledgeable and more skilled than themselves; but that
does not mean that they are incapable of giving a considered, thorough,
objective, and appropriate score and commentary.  You do not have to be a
laurel to catch a flaw in the logic of an argument in documentation, or to
recognize poor workmanship.

We have to learn how to judge, and for most of us, the only way to learn is
to do it.  There are ways, of course, to give yourself a hand up in this -
ask a laurel to help you, or someone else who is experienced at judging.
 Have you ever thought of teaching a class on the subject, or selecting
someone and grooming them to be a judge?

I never minded being judged by people I didn't know, or whom I knew were
not as experienced or skilled as myself at a given thing.  I certainly
never found it demeaning.  It always helps to get a fresh voice giving you
input.  After all, if my work would not stand up to the scrutiny of someone
who knows less on the subject than I do, it certainly won't pass muster
with those who are better than me.

We need all the judges we can get.  Mistress Gunnora told only the painful
truth about how much work it can be to judge.  Let us not discourage new
judges by leading them to think they are not qualified to give comments or
assign scores on the better artisans.  The better you get at your art, the
fewer people there will be who are better than you, but you cannot limit
your judges to the ever-shrinking pool of people you consider your equal or
superior.

I have enjoyed the discussion that Tamlin and Baron Bors have stirred up,
and hope that others are finding it as useful as I am.

In servicio,

Talana
Jcarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org

Authenticity Police, Department of Internal Affairs:
"Master Sphincter, your comment sheet on this lady's calligraphy brought
her to tears.  You will stay after the event and write 'If you can't say
anything nice, don't judge it' one thousand times in calligraphy.  With a
dull pen. In a bastard secretary hand.  And the lady will then judge your
work. You brought it on yourself, sir."