ANST - Terracotta Sculpture

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Tue May 18 13:14:07 PDT 1999

Nathan W. Jones wrote:

> But, (again, just a guess) surely by the time of the Renaissance
> there was enough of a middle class to support a cheap decorative
> art.  Especially in cities where it was hard enough keeping up
> with the 'Medici's'.  I refuse to believe that all sculpture in
> our period was either done in stone or cast metal.
>
> And so I appeal to all artists of every medium, if you have
> seen any reference to some sort of terracotta or cast plaster
> art, sculpture or ornament, in our period, please point me in
> the direction you found it.

When I went to Greece and Italy last summer we did not see anything but
Marble and Bronze except a bust in the Effitzi (sp) Gallery of the
Medici's.  It was a very shiny white bust of a girl wearing a coronet.
I have a picture of it I believe, and could send it to you if you wish
but I do NOT know what it was made of...maybe someone else could help W/
that.  It was in the room with all of the 16th century medallions and
coins so I could only guess it was from around that time.

Sir Alrek