ANST - RE: Looking for the heat

Tue May 18 19:46:48 PDT 1999

> >Hold a two day A&S competition where experienced judges and  subject
> experts
> >will serve as consultants.  By entering the competition, competitors
> agree
> >to serve as judges.  As judges, they may consult the experts or each
> other
> >freely, but they must make their own evaluations.  All scoring is to be
> done
> >on Kingdom standard forms.
> Hey ! I *like* that idea, Good thinking Bear.  This will give the
> nonjudges
> an understanding of what it takes to judge and train more judges as well
> as
> letting the people who seem to always wind up judging a chance to compete
> for fun.
>
> Saffiya 'bint Da'ud Al'Mubbarrak

Round robin judging isn't new, but it struck me that it could be used to
good effect as a teaching/learning situation.  I don't think we are going to
rid the universe of the A&S competition.  Too many people like to compete
and it has become an integral part of the SCA wars.  That being the case,
giving people a taste of both sides of the competition seems to be a good
thing.  I don't know if the idea is workable, but since I'm carping about
A&S competitions, I'll pay for the privilege by offering any suggestions I
can think of for their improvement.  Hopefully, some one can make use of
them.

Bear