ANST - RE: Looking for the heat

Maleah Farasha Raushana bint Abdullah maleah at swbell.net
Wed May 19 00:29:59 PDT 1999

I guess I have lurked long enough. Here are my two cents worth. Thank
you Bors for starting this discussion. I realize that any human endeavor
will be plagued with our shortcomings and shine with our virtues. Now to
the meat. I believe blind judging would eliminate some of the problems
inherent in judging the artist not the piece presented. Make the name of
the artist available only after the judging to those judges who would
like to initiate personal contact. Bare minimum display accessories to
minimize the Macy's storefront effect. And lastly, more competitor
inquiries and interaction after the judging with those who gave
critiques on their pieces. You only learn if you enquire.
	At Namron's most recent event, Beltane Games, we had our first Titled
Artisan competition. The format selected by Their Excellencies and
myself as their MoA&S was as follows:
	Our judges were chosen to represent the stratum of the Society. A
Laurel, and Iris, a Thistle, an AOA level person, a person fairly new to
our group and Their Excellencies. All the judges were asked for a 1st,
2nd and 3rd place choice with 3 points to a 1st, 2 points to a 2nd and 1
point to a 3rd place choice for each judge. The person who sufficiently
impressed the most judges to tally the most points was chosen as our
Premier Artisan. While this is not always possible to implement I feel
(personal opinion to follow) that it gave us a well rounded view of the
entries.
	I have seen the A&S community evolve into a brand new species since I
joined and mostly for the better.
	I appreciate the time and energy given by all those dedicated
individuals who take the time to judge and give positive feedback.
	Documentation is still not my favorite critter but this discussion has
caused me to stop and look at the other side of the coin.
	Having been badly bitten and burned by the old system I dug in my heels
and was less than thrilled when I saw the word "competition". After this
I will brave the new world and go forth with well, maybe not vigor but
much less of my old trepidation.
	Laurels, the direction you are leading us with the recent changes is a
much brighter path. I thank you for your efforts.

Hasheika Maleah