ANST - re: my rant on destroying legends (long)

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Wed May 19 07:48:15 PDT 1999

<"Screamin Gael" <screamingael at hotmail.com>>
>Pardon me if I misinterpret your meaning here, but those are some (pardon
>language) damned insulting comparisons there. I'm trying to write a
>dissertation about how we should emulate the great heros instead of
>dubunking them, and you compare that to neo-nazi coverups of the Holocaust?
>If you mean otherwise, I appologize. But if this was your intent, then I say
>How dare you sir!

No, you don't misinterpret anything.  And I dare quite easily.  A lie
is a lie, whether it is a pleasant one that makes us feel better, or an
unpleasant one that hurts people.  There is no line between them.

History is comprised of The Truth Of What Really Happened, which we may never
truly know; and a lot of interpretations based on the perceptions and goals of
the interpreters.  However, I believe that just because we can't necessarily
ever learn the REAL Objective Truth, that we shouldn't at least *try*.  Not
all historians agree with this.

>I am not saying we should live lies, I am saying that are legends are meant
>to teach us to be better than we are, and that we should aspire to match and
>surpass the greatness of our tales...

If people wish to teach these myths as goals, that's one thing.  They don't,
they present them as "historical fact".

> I have had enough problems with white
>supremecists to last me a friggin' lifetime, so please clearly explain
>yourself if you are not trying to compare me to them

I'm not comparing *you* to anything.  You asked a question, I gave you an
answer.  If it's not an answer you care for, then you don't.  I can neither
change that reality, nor can I stop you from "ignoring" this (as you suggested
in your later note).

Marc/Diarmaid