ANST - re: my rant on destroying legends (long)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed May 19 07:48:49 PDT 1999

On 18 May 99, at 22:39, Screamin Gael wrote:

> >or even  that the Darkies really
> >-preferred- slavery, that there was no Holocaust, and even if it did
> >happen, the Jews deserved it for that "Elders of Zion" thing, and so
> >forth.
> >

> Pardon me if I misinterpret your meaning here, but those are some (pardon
> language) damned insulting comparisons there. I'm trying to write a
> dissertation about how we should emulate the great heros instead of
> dubunking them, and you compare that to neo-nazi coverups of the
> Holocaust? If you mean otherwise, I appologize. But if this was your
> intent, then I say How dare you sir!

seems quite relevent since the question was "myth" vs "reality".  far too often
in our history and the culture at large, myth being more malleable than fact
and reason gets substituted for history where it is then manipulated for the
benefit of whatever special interests are in power ("ministry of truth" time
..).  it happens in history, it happens in our culture, it happens in the SCA.

what is important is recognize that it does happen, and to stop it early on
before it becomes entrenched and "common knowledge" (ain't propaganda a
interesting creature?)

> I am not saying we should live lies, I am saying that are legends are
> meant to teach us to be better than we are, and that we should aspire to
> match and surpass the greatness of our tales. I have had enough problems
> with white supremecists to last me a friggin' lifetime, so please clearly
> explain yourself if you are not trying to compare me to them

myths are teaching tools - pro and con.  they are not all wonderful white-light
things.  if you want to see some modern mastery of the craft of myth and
propaganda, the "white supremists" would be well worth the study.  the nazi
regieme were masters of trading old myth for new and weaving it into their
cultural fabric to suit their needs.  if you are working on a study of modern
myth and legend, that dark time would be well worth your study on how myth can
be used / abused.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves