ANST - re: my rant on destroying legends (long)

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed May 19 10:19:24 PDT 1999

On 19 May 99, at 9:48, I. Marc Carlson wrote:

> History is comprised of The Truth Of What Really Happened, which we may
> never truly know; and a lot of interpretations based on the perceptions
> and goals of the interpreters.  However, I believe that just because we
> can't necessarily ever learn the REAL Objective Truth, that we shouldn't
> at least *try*.  Not all historians agree with this.

an important point to remember about history ... it is based on the histories
that came before and often those histories have been "rectified" in major way's
when one power falls and another rises (the victor writes the history ...).

it's also based on the accounts of men, and as a species we often see only what
we want to see or what we individually deem of importance ... and these
observations are interpreted by individuals who have been shaped to see /
understand things in a particular way by their cultures.  ergo, like you
mention, history is always subjective but ideally should strive for the
objective ... unfortunately, idealism is often sacrificed for practicality .

in a manner of speaking the dividing line between legend/myth and what is
deemed "official" history is often not as distinct as most would believe.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves