ANST - A clarification (was Rant)

Screamin Gael screamingael at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 10:21:02 PDT 1999

Apparently, the message got lost in the text, so I'm going to explain this
as simply as possible....if it's still missconstrued by some, oh well, I
tried.

Put aside the inate desire of a SCAdian to research everything to death and
the indignance when that is called into question (I'm working on a Masters
in History, so I know how hard that is) and read the following, which is the
intended message:

We should keep our legends alive (as legends), and strive to live the way
they teach us to.

Thats it, thats the message.

Putting into an example, which would you rather have: a gang banger who
knows that the first crusades was a rapascious invasion using religion to
claim land and booty and has no role models, thus no problem blowing one of
our officers away.

or a 15 year old kid who was raised on stories of knights of old and took
the chivalric code to heart and chose to live with honor rather than lead a
life of crime.

I have seen firsthand what happens to those who have all faith in their
legends and in the Right way to live ripped out from underneath them by some
historian trying to astound the accademic community with his "new finding",
and it has directly (I kid you not) led to at least one death that I know
of.

I had assumed that members of the Society, a society based on re-introducing
Honor and Chivalry into the world, would understand the message, and some
did....others...well, they need to talk to a knight or two and ask them
which is more important: Historicaly accurate knowledge, or living the
Chivalric life

This will probably be the last post I put here for a while, for I have to
rethink a few concepts I had about the SCA. To the Honorable, I salute you;
to those who strive to discover more of our history, I salute you; to those
who live the Dream, I salute you. Remember always, keep legends alive, and
keep them legends. Make them not into truths, nor debunk them as false,
simply keep them as legend.

Yours in the Dream,

Breandan Mac Aodha Bhui