ANST - Terracotta Sculpture (long)

Ace aslyn at onramp.net
Thu May 20 08:14:19 PDT 1999

Hi there, David!

>Aslyn,
>
>    I agree with you on earlier examples of ceramics using tin based
enamels.
>Most likely this was not an idea original to della Robbia and, after a
re-read,
>I guess I did say that.
>
>    The original question was looking into period use of terra cotta as a
>decorative medium, specifically statuary, in Europe.  I've checked a couple
of
>books on the issue and every one points straight at della Robbia as the
source.
>They also credit him with the 'innovative' use of tin rather that lead
based
>enamel glazes.  This is probably Eurocentric history.

Ahh....could be!  :-D

>One source indicates that tin based Majolica was being imported to Italy in
the early Renaissance.
>Specifically it came from the Western Mediterranian island of Majorca, the
>Italian spelling being 'Maiolica.'  The Moors had brought the technique to
Spain
>during their invasions of the 8th Century.  On the other end of the
>Mediterranean the Assyrians had the formula as early as 1100 B.C.

Yeah!  :-D  That's what I was referring to.  And on a re-read, I forgot to
mention the Hispano-Moresques specifically.

>There was also a backward shift of using lead instead of tin.  This was a
deliberate use
>started by Bernard Palissy in France about 1510 (this is the formula that
>Herbert Minton copied in 1851).  Supposedly it gave a clear instead of an
opaque
>glaze (which is just the opposite of what another book says).  This process
was
>also called Faience, opposite to what you say above, that's history, go
figure.

Yeah...go figure.  I bet we could read twenty books on the subject and get
twenty different "truths".  I think we're in the same boat.

>    Anyway I'm not an enamlist and hardly a historian.

Me, either!  But, ooohh! I love digging through books (even if they are
confusing and contradictory)

>Any fault you find, I'll gladly blame on another :)

None found here.  I enjoyed the discussion!!  If you're coming to Steppes
Warlord, I'll be at the A&S tent scribing away.  Come see me and let's
talk!!

"Carpe Frommage"

Aslyn "ihavethecoolestLaurel" Crystyn