ANST - Theme A&S competitions

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Thu May 20 10:18:20 PDT 1999

"Weiszbrod, Barbara Ann (Barbara)** CTR **" wrote:

> This all brings up a new topic, do you or do you not think that theme
> competitions should be held.
>
> I do not.
>
> Most event announcements arrive at our doors six to eight weeks before the
> event.  That is not enough time for many artisans to consider how  with
> their particular art form fits into the theme, plan a project and execute
> it.  I have never asked her, but I am willing to bet that Isobel's (forgive
> me for the spelling if that is wrong, I am spelling-impaired) glass work
> could not be done in that length of time.  I know that if I were going to
> make an illumination for a competition six weeks would not be enough time.

Technically, I can cut glass, paint a window and assemble it within that length
of time.  Once I get going I get somewhat singleminded about a window and don't
do much else when I'm not at work.  As a result, I can make small,
already-patterned, non-challenging prize windows relatively quickly.

It's different for "Art" windows.  In practice, if you average in the time it
takes to find the window I wish to recreate...and the number of days that I
sometimes stall out, while I'm figuring out a technique...it takes much
longer.   Finding a pattern that "speaks" to me, will fit into the next stained
glass challenge or "lesson" I've designed for myself, and does not have horribly
many pieces, can be time consuming.  Once I find one that I think that I might
like, I may stare at a photograph on and off, for days or months before actually
beginning it.  If I find that I'm "falling in love" with a window, then I know
that I'll see the creation process through to the end, and am eventually
inspired to begin the recreation.

I've not really managed to follow a theme at any A&S, except when I've managed
to "stretch" the theme to fit a window that I would have made anyway.  Once, I
tried...but didn't finish the window anywhere near on time and it's my
least-favorite window (though good technical practice).

Isobel

Isobel