ANST - merchants / artisans

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Fri May 21 08:34:17 PDT 1999

> Karl Muller spoke words that sounded somewhat like this:
>
> >>1) Merchants that enter their wares in A&S competitions.
> >
> >it should be for sale or a&s. not both at the as event.

there are merchants and artisans who sell their work.  this later catagory is a
rather special one to my heart, it's something that most artisans aspire to,
but many lack the level of skill or courage to persue, especially if it's all
of ones living (hmmmm ... sounds rather "medieval" in concept to me ...).

skill is skill, all artisans share dedication and love of their crafts.  in
this example one subset of artisan simply has chosen a different lfe-path /
higher level of dedication than the other.  such a choice, to my eye's would
speak a great deal about that artisans commitment in their craft and belief in
their skills and abilities.

personally, i have learned more from commercial artisans and their wares than
"peers" at my levels.  that in itself earns them a place in the contests, since
the goal is not necessarily to win "best of" but to expand and improve ones art
/ craft (opinion).

also remember, that a artisan merchant is in a serious contest everytime they
set up ... they and their work is being judged by every person who walks past
their wares.  public acceptance and commercial success is their reward in this
particular class of competition.

'wolf
... still fighting the metals

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)