ANST - RE: Looking for the heat - recap

Franchesca Havas ches at home.net
Fri May 21 11:38:41 PDT 1999

I posed the question because many times I have heard these conversations
concerning these two issues but no one would explain why they felt that way.
I would hear, "Well, I will never be a laurel because I sell my art" or
"There is a real attitude against costumers that charge for their services".

I understand that in period there were two kinds of artists. The ones lucky
enough to have a sponsor, and the majority that had to sell their art for
survival. I also understand that there are merchants in the society that are
less than authentic in their wares. But there are those that have wonderful
things, such as pottery, jewelry, clothing. There are those that play the
persona of the middle man which in itself is period too. I am just concerned
that we may be discriminating against a great artist just because they sell
their art. It saddens me. I just want to know why.

As for the Steward situation I have to agree with Aslyn. There is a
difference between the steward of the event and the coordinator of the
actual competition. Many of our competitions have a different coordinator
than the Steward, speaking from experience it is insane to do it all.
Tradition takes care of this ethical dilemma in most situations.

Perhaps we need classes in ethics and honor as well as how to make glass
beads at our colligiums.

Sincerely,
F. Havas
Dallas, Texas