ANST - Mythical tourney styles

Tim Lozos timden at lcc.net
Fri May 21 14:07:03 PDT 1999

Greetings!

(not-really-a-rant-but-something-thats-been-bugging-me mode on)

Ya know, it's been my experience that a discussion of tourney styles leads
to a comment something like...

(Stefan)
>I think having more period-like tournaments than the standard
double-elimination
>tornaments is a wonderful idea.

Now, I am all for more period tourneys. In fact, I am a sucker for a good
Pas. But thats not what this letter is about. It's about the Mythical,
Diabolical, Nasty, and Bad Smelling,  "Standard Double-Elimination List".

The "SDEL" is just plain evil, and must have been spawned by the Dark One
himself, or at least thats the feel I get from comments I hear about it.
"It's not period!", "No one wants to drive 6 hours to get eliminated in 2
rounds!", and "yeck!!" are all common reactions.

But wait...Is the "S" in "SDEL" really the standard????  A quick check
proves this is simply not true.

Heres a list of (Heavy) lists over about the past year.

May '98 Elfsea Springfaire - Swiss 5
May '98 Squires Inv.- Single elim (2 of 3), 3 man melee teams
May '98 Steppes Warlord - "SDEL"  AAAAAAHHHH!!!
June '98 Midsummer faire- Single elim (2 of 3)
August '98 Kingdom Warlord/Kings Champion - Snowball Melee/Challenge
Sept '98 Harvest Festival- Hunt
Sept '98 Defender of the Fort- Challenge
Sept '98 Elfsea Defender- Swiss 5
Oct '98 Crown - Single elim (2 of 3)
Oct '98 Tourney de Amor- Pas de Armes
Nov '98 Battle of 3 kings - Melees
Nov '98 Autumn Melees- Melees
Feb '99 War practice/ Kings Champion- Challenge
Mar '99 Lyoness - Pas
Apr '99 Quest for Clover - Bearpit
Apr '99 Elfsea springfair- Consorts tourney
Apr '99 Crown - Single elim(2of3)
May '99 Squires inv- Challenge/snowball melee
May '99 Loch Guardian- Swiss 5

These are events that I went to, or know about the list. The only "SDEL" was
Steppes Warlord.

I what I'm trying to say is that the standard is not the standard anymore. I
guess that means we're doing a better job with tourneys, with more varied,
and more period style tourneys.

Ok I feel better

:)

Timo