ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri May 21 17:21:33 PDT 1999

Bors said:
  <snip>
>   This seems to be true in all the peerages.  Many of the old peers have
> found the bar of compition raised far beyond the level of which they
> achieved
> to become peers.  Couldn't some type of evaluation or criteria be assessed
> in
> order to maintain good standing as a peer?  For example- Knights must win
> one
> compition in a three year period, Laurels must win an A&S compition every
> so
> often and Pelicans could autocrat an event or do a major service every
> once
> and awhile.  This would be benificial not only to the newcomers who would
> benefit greatly from the wealth of knowledge in our peers, but also
> demonstrate that once a peerage has been bestowed ,that the individual
> truely
> wants to continue onward and upward in service to the kingdom.

I understand your intent, but I disagree with the solution.

I think peers should continue their activity in their fields.  But peerage
isn't a merit badge.  One is not made a peer for winning so many
competitions.  Therefore, one's standing as a peer should not be based on
continuing to win so many competitions.  Knights (the easiest to pick on) do
not lose their validity as a peer with age, only their physical prowess.
They can and do train others, even as they stop competing as much.  The
Laurels I have spoken with on this subject feel that part of their job is to
train other artists and scientists, or encourage and guide those individuals
in their respective fields. And any Pelican will say their work didn't end
when they got their bird: it started.

I understand that over time some peers stop being active.  But so do
non-peers.

And as far as maintaining their good standing as peers: we, as humans, tend
to judge others by their actions and deeds.  If Sir Grunger is acting like a
booze-headed stick jock instead of a knight, then Sir Grunger tends to get
treated like a booze-headed stick jock with a title.  And Sir Lanc-a-like
gets treated as a noble member of the Chivalry.  You will even notice people
referring to "Grunger" or "that one knight" instead of "Sir Grunger", while
Sir Lanc-a-like is referred to with several flowery adjectives preceding his
name.  It is the prerogative of each peer, nay, each person, to maintain
their own good standing.  That is a facet of Honor.  When they loose Honor,
it no longer matters what their title is.

<snip>
>  Just the rambling thoughts of an old man
<snip>

Likewise.  But only my kids think I'm old.  My wife still thinks she's a
cradle robber.

Master Ulf Gunnarsson, OL