ANST - Peers Quit Competing?

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 20:39:02 PDT 1999

Baroness Gunnora wrote:
>(1) Lots of people think it's unfair to have a Laurel compete against them.
>
>I think this is a Darned Bad reason.  I applaud the attitude of the young
>gentleman a couple of LPT's ago who not only declared that he didn't want
>to be placed in the children's division but expected and wanted to compete
>with the adults, he told us that he's prefer to compete with the Laurels,
>against the best of the best.  Now to my mind *that's* the ideal attitude.
>There are plenty of Laurels who would like to compete in A&S -- some of us
>became Laurels because we are competitive and like to show our work and if
>possible win.

I have no problem competing in a competition with Laurels.  I wouldn't stand
a chance competing against Mistress Meadhbh with a cooking entry or Master
Cadfan in bardic.  However, it would be nice to see Laurels continue to
compete in fields that they are new to.  I would be happy to place my
leather work against Master Cadfans leatherwork.  Or to pit my meager skill
in bardic against Mistress Meadhbh.

Laurels, and Knights and Pelicans, are expected to teach and lead by
example.  Peers should also continue to grow in their endeavours.  Any
Laurel can learn a new art.  Knights can take up Bardic.  Pelicans can
strive to become Laurels.

You can expect to see my entries in A&S competitions in the future.  Look
for me also on the list field.

Master Leofric OP
Baron to the Court of Ansteorra