ANST - Peers Quit Competing?

Patrick J. Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Sat May 22 13:09:13 PDT 1999

>From a personal standpoint, one of the reasons that I quit competing after
I got my Laurel was that we had so few judges in my areas.  Once I became a
Laurel, I was pretty much expected to judge A&S in my areas because there
were so few who would.  It was a position that I was happy to take, but it
did cut back on my ability to compete since I would be judging in that area
usually.  If I did compete, they would loose a judge that they needed
(smacked a little too much of being egocentric for my taste). I know that
the whole topic of, "We are an honorable Society, and I trust someone's
honor to be fair" has been bantered about.  Unfortunately, personally, it
would feel very awkward for me to compete and judge in the same area.  Your
mileage may vary, and I for one would be loathe to tell someone they
couldn't it they believed they could be that fair.  Of course if they
weren't I'd be the first to sell tickets to the "Smack Them On The Side Of
The Head With A Clue-by-Four Contest" <<<grin>>>.

It's actually with a great deal of pleasure that I discovered I will not
have that problem since I moved to this Kingdom.  You not only have many
active Laurels in many areas, but also many great and diverse artists to
pull from in judging.   I for one am happy that I will be able to start
entering again.  Just because a Crown saw fit to bestow a Peerage upon me
does not mean that I know longer have anything to learn.  That is
especially true of those who may not be recognized yet, but have focused so
diligently in their Art.  It also keeps one honest.  If one leaves ones
hands away from the forge too long, one forgets how to strike the anvil.

Just my two yaks worth,
   Petruccio