ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Sun May 23 10:27:57 PDT 1999

>HOWEVER- I find it amazing how once one becomes a peer in the realm, how
>quickly they quite competing.  The joke of the Loch use to be " How do you
>get someone to quit fighting in the Loch?  Make them a knight.
>  This seems to be true in all the peerages.  Many of the old peers have
>found the bar of compition raised far beyond the level of which they achieved
>to become peers.  Couldn't some type of evaluation or criteria be assessed in
>order to maintain good standing as a peer?

Don't care for this idea, myself.  Some stop competing because they feel
others should have a chance to enjoy that fruit.  Some appear not to be as
active, because they've taken on others to teach in the work they do/did, so
they're a bit less visible.  Some appear to be less active, because they've
focused their energies in another area they've been wanting to work in.
Some appear to be less active because they're forming their backsides to
their chairs, true.

And, sometimes, they appear to be less active because the people who watch
for peerlike qualities, peerlike activities, have moved that person out of
the focal arena to watch others who may be deserving.  I've only seldom seen
a peer slow or stop without an injury, illness, or substantial (real-)life
change being the real causing factor.

Such a generalizing remark quickly looses its wit in misapplication.  When
it does, it becomes a barb that can poision cordial relationships -- not in
keeping with the SCA ideals as I see them.

Most of us do this for fun and entertainment.  Don't care for administrative
interference with keeping a peerage, either.  Don't care to be lawed and
ruled to death.  Get enough of that "out there".

Ronnie.