ANST - laurels competing

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon May 24 07:14:55 PDT 1999

>   A student of a static art must seek out someone to teach them.
> For someone who is new, this can be a daunting task.  It is not easy to
> approach a peer and ask to be taught in their art.  Sometimes, there is no
> one in the area who practices that art.  You can find a lot of Laurels who's
> specialty is fabric arts, but not many who are brewers or woodworkers.
>
> One way to get by this could be for the local Laurels (and Iris's) to form a
> referal network and introduce the new artisans to a Laurel in their
> specialty at some event.  Even if there are no Laurels that are skilled in
> the craft that someone is persuing, any Laurel can teach a new artisan what
> is required for documentation, how to do research, and how to prepare
> entries for competition.
>
> Just some further expansion on my own observations.  You may fire when
> ready.

Some of this referral process can start with your local hospitaler or group
members.  Approaching a peer can be intimidating...but if I learn that a newby
is interested in a particular artform, I generally drag them over to an
appropriate artisan at a populace meeting.  If someone isn't doing that artform,
I'll generally drag them to someone who knows people who are.  As a result...no
blind phone call.  Also...at one big, newcomers meeting that we had following a
successful demo, we had some of our artisans at the meeting with their artwork.
Again...it was possible to directly hook people up.   In addition, in
Bjornsborg, we've created a Yellow Pages in our Baronial directory, listing
interests and topics that people are willing to teach, including art forms.

Another thing that the individual groups can periodically schedule is a, "How to
write Documentation" class.

Isobel