ANST - Event Steward vs Autocrat

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Tue May 25 04:22:27 PDT 1999

At 07:16 PM 5/24/99 -0400, you wrote:

>>>Unless they want to go tell the King "I insist you
>>>end this Belted/Laurel/etc. Circle right now and come to feast"...
>
>This would be the action of an AUTOCRAT
>
>>No, you simply say "Your Majesty, the feast is ready to be served. Would
>>you prefer to adjourn/recess this meeting and come eat, or do you wish to
>>continue the meeting while I serve your people?"
>
>THis would be the action of an EVENT STEWARD
>
>>Starving the populace just so a small group can continue arguing is not an
>>option.
>
>Nobody will starve in an hour (or more) but the cold foods may be warm and
the hot >foods may be cool. It happens, fairly regularly. Maybe it
shouldn't, but it does.

Actually, I was thinking of a certain Baronial Investiture some years ago,
where the Belted Circle was discussing a particularly controversial
candidate and ran two or three hours late. The Investiture, which was
supposed to happen at sunset, happened in pitch dark, and the feast wasn't
served until 10:00 pm. Many folks with small children to feed (as well as a
fair number of the general populace) simply left.

	-Tivar Moondragon
		Ansteorra