ANST - Event Steward vs Autocrat

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue May 25 10:01:21 PDT 1999

Galen here...
----------
>From: "Mark.S Harris" <rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com>
<snip>
>> Nobody will starve in an hour (or more) but the cold foods may be warm
>and the hot foods may be cool. It happens, fairly regularly. Maybe it
>shouldn't, but it does.
>
>No matter whether it happens fairly regularly or infrequently, it shouldn't.
>Sometimes it is unavoidable. But to delay things for a hundred people because
>of the desires of a few or one (even if he is the king) is extremely rude and
>insensitive.
<snip>

>Lord Stefan li Rous
>stefan at texas.net

Peerages are pretty important to people in the SCA.  We all want
to see worthy people made peers, and hate to see unworthy ones.
Sometimes, this requires extensive conversation; this is especially
true if a candidate has made mistakes in their past, in which case
the circle must discuss whether the mistakes have been properly
addressed, and are likely to recur.  If problems have been alleged
against candidates, we have to discuss them and find out how true
or current these problems are.  Further, both peers and candidates
are scattered to the ends of our kingdom, and those on the periphery
may not be able to attend as many circles as we'd wish.  When the
remote-living peers make it to a circle, we need to take the opportunity
to address candidates and issues relevant to their area, which they
may have more particular information about.

It's impossible to know how long such a conversation can last.  And
it's not fair to the candidates, nor to he population they'd serve
as peers, to avoidably postpone discussion on people who may be ready.
Have we made enough peers yet?  I'd bet there's a large number of
squires, apprentices and proteges who believe we should continue to
elevate worthy people.  I'd likewise bet there's a large number of
people who do not themselves aspire to the peerage who continue to
believe we should keep making worthy peers.

I'm not for delaying feasts, but when it happens, it is because a
group of people are doing their best to serve the kingdom, and not
because we're just having too much fun to stop and let you eat.
Careful Stefan, the person who tries to cut short the peerage
circle _may_ be postponing discussion of himself.

- Galen of Bristol, KSCA, Pel.
pmitchel at flash.net