ANST - Event Steward vs Autocrat

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue May 25 12:20:11 PDT 1999

On 25 May 99, at 11:29, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> No matter whether it happens fairly regularly or infrequently, it
> shouldn't. Sometimes it is unavoidable. But to delay things for a hundred
> people because of the desires of a few or one (even if he is the king) is
> extremely rude and insensitive. While it is certainly period, I don't
> believe it has a place in a Society based on courtesy and honor. Is it
> respectful to the kitchen crew and cooks who have been slaving in the hot
> kitchen for hours to have the first course come out less than perfect
> because it has been sitting too long? Is it respectful of the folks that
> have paid for a good feast to get less than they paid for because of the
> desire of a few to not ajourn and take up their discussion at a later
> time?

not to mention such other more practical concerns as families with children to
feed, or those with medical conditions that preclude waiting excessively for
things to start ... dunno about others, but i don't really like big blood sugar
swings so i try to eat on a reasonable and regular schedule..

best solution, everyone knows when things are scheduled to start... send a
runner to remind folks that things are starting .. then let those in discussion
decide what is more important, continuing discussion or breaking for food.  in
such instances in other realms that i've been involved in, a break for food is
usually a constructive thing to a bogged down process.  the discussions can
always be picked up after the meal ....

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)