ANST - GW Dates - Problem Solving?

Donal & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Sun May 30 16:45:27 PDT 1999

OK, here's a question:
How was the site staffing problem solved in the earlier years, when
the date bounced around from June to April? I know the War was much
smaller at that time (I went to GW I, as no doubt did many on this
list). Agreed, staffing concerns increase on a exponential basis
relative to a geometric increase in event size. Did the site owner
simply make do with a smaller staff? Did he hire them elsewhere? Was
June really best for him because Community College was out of session?

As I am no longer in college myself, spring break is not an issue for
me. Personally, however, I'd rather see the War held in early April.
The reason? The weather. March across most of the South is
unpredictable at best, violent at worst. Look at the last three years:
Rain, cold, LOTS of rain. By the first or second week of April, spring
has pretty much set in, it is warm but usually not killing hot (you
can go swimming at night!), and violent storms are fewer. I'd say,
however, based on personal experience, that a June date would be Bad.
Just a thought.

Back to the staffing problem. I am willing to pay an extra ten bucks
or so on the event fee if it can be held at a more convenient time for
Ansteorra. Per head, that should provide enough money to hire staff
who aren't necessarily college students, freeing the owner to open at
any time (April! Early April!).

Donal